This year our school is celebrating that we have had a school in the village for 200 years. Over the next term we will be organising and holding lots of different events and activities in school to celebrate this. Look our for lots of pictures of what we get up to and happy 200 years to Beeford school!!
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT OUR SCHOOL FROM THE LAST 200 YEARS OR ANY HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS, NEWSPAPER CUTTINGS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Here is some history about Beeford Primary School...
A school may have been held in the church in the mid 16th century. The private school supported by parents recorded under Beeford parish in the mid 18th century was perhaps the same as that held in a schoolhouse in the north-west corner of the churchyard in 1786. A National school supported by subscription and school pence had been established in the village by 1818. It was attended then by 53 children from Beeford and Lissett and in 1833 by 40 boys and 20 girls. A new school had been provided on the south side of Dringhoe Lane in 1816, perhaps by remodelling an existing building; it may have been used from the outset, as it was later, for the boys. An 'old school' was either continued or re-established in 1823, and it was apparently its schoolhouse which Thomas Prickett, lord of the manor, gave to the trustees of the National school in 1846. Built on waste ground on the north side of Green Lane, it may have been rebuilt soon after the conveyance and was later recorded as the girls' school. The National school also included an infants' department by 1865. In the mid century the school was supported by the rector, subscribers including the lord of the manor, school pence, and an annual government grant, first received in 1866, when the average attendance was 70. The infants' school was apparently then kept in another building but its location is unknown; later the infants seem to have been taught in the girls' school. At inspection in 1871 there were 101 pupils at the school. The site of the boys' school was enlarged by gift of John Stocks in 1870. A new National school for all departments was built in 1880 on land given by the rector on the south side of the street. The building was improved in 1890. The former boys' school and its site were sold in 1883, and in 1884 the former girls' school, 'lately called the infant school', was bought for a reading room. The new school was enlarged in 1902. In 1907–8 average attendance at Beeford Church school was 131, of whom 27 were infants. Numbers had fallen to an average of 113 by 1913–14 but the infants' department was then reckoned to be overcrowded and in 1929 the building was altered and enlarged and a playing field was provided. In the 1920s and 1930s there were usually 100 pupils in attendance, but by 1937–8 only 86. Senior pupils were transferred to Hornsea County Secondary School in 1958. The primary school site was enlarged by 2 a. in 1965. In 1990 there were 64 on the roll at Beeford. In 1833 Beeford also had two mixed day schools supported by parents, one begun in 1823 with 20 pupils and the other started in 1826 with 31 in attendance.